Funding Opportunities

AHW regularly issues requests for applications (RFAs) for funding awards. We seek partners who share our belief that by working together we can build a healthier Wisconsin today, and for generations to come. Through investments in research, health workforce development and education, and community initiatives, we are building capacity, developing new knowledge, and changing systems to positively impact health from cells to society statewide.

Open Opportunities

AHW regularly issues requests for applications (RFAs) for grant awards as well as invitations for merit reviewers to assist in the review of applications. Unsolicited proposals are not accepted.


   AHW Population & Community Health Icon  

Call for Applications: Population & Community Health Studies

Deadline: 5 PM (CST) January 29, 2020

Funding available to support multi-sector partnerships in generating actionable knowledge to inform policy and practice improvements for health improvement.


Learn More



Call for Proposals: Learning Event Support

Deadline: Rolling through June 30, 2020

Funding available to support Wisconsin-based learning events that build knowledge, skills, networks, and impactful next steps among multi-sector professionals working to advance the health of Wisconsin residents through research, education, and community health improvement efforts statewide.

Learn More


Application Resources

Open AllClose All
  Where does the funding for AHW investments come from?

The Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment was established by the Medical College of Wisconsin to receive part of the charitable funds resulting from the conversion of Blue Cross/Blue Shield United of Wisconsin from a nonprofit organization to a for-profit corporation. While a peer program was also established at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, AHW is unique from other health care conversion foundations in that the public funds were entrusted to a private medical school. As a result, AHW carefully stewards this investment to ensure the funds are used to support advancements to improve the health of Wisconsin residents.

  What do HWPP & REP stand for?

For the AHW 2014-2018 Five-Year Plan, our funding is structured in two components: The Healthier Wisconsin Partnership Program (HWPP) and Research and Education Program (REP). HWPP supports improvements in public and community health through community-academic partnerships. REP supports health advancements through scientific discovery and enhanced educational programs at MCW.


Open AllClose All
  Can my partnership apply for funding for multiple projects in one funding cycle?

Yes. However, we recommend you submit your strongest proposal. The review process is competitive and, given limited funding, only the most meritorious projects will be successful.

  Can an organization apply as part of a consortium or coalition?

A consortium of coalition may be formed and may either identify one organization to serve as the eligible community partner or demonstrate its join and legal 501(c)3 status to meet AHW eligibility requirements.

  What is an academic partner and how can I find an MCW partner for my project?

AHW’s Community-Academic Partnership Model provides an opportunity for community partners and MCW academic faculty to collaborate, share knowledge, disseminate new ideas, and strengthen ties within our community.


To find the best academic partner for your project, we recommend first identifying areas of your project that would be complemented by the expertise of an academic partner. If your existing networks do not identify a possible partner, investigate the MCW website to find the areas of expertise that exist within MCW. If you still need help, don’t hesitate to contact us. Submit a Partnership Request Form and we'll connect with you to assist.

  What are HWPP’s funding restrictions?

AHW funds can only be used for direct, project-related expenses. Each request for applications (RFA) will specify any additional restrictions or if any restrictions may be waived.

Funds may NOT be used for: indirect expenses; debt reduction; capital expenditures costing $3,000 or more with a useful life of two  years or more (exceptions may be made for capital expenditures if such equipment is crucial to the primary objectives of the project); projects outside the state of Wisconsin; reimbursement of clinical service delivery, unless the service is a direct and necessary component of the broader project; and lobbying.

In addition, AHW funds may not supplant (replace) funds or resources that are available from other sources.

  Can MCW partners receive compensation from a project budget?

Yes. MCW faculty may receive funds directly from a project budget. MCW faculty, just as their community partners, must justify that their involvement with the project is distinct from existing work.

  May an MCW faculty member partner serve on different projects simultaneously

Yes, if any proposed faculty time allocations included in the funding requests are distinct for each project and if the funding requests does not supplant (replace) funding that already exists.


Open AllClose All
  What is the difference between a Co-Investigator and a Collaborator?

Generally, collaborators have a smaller role in the project (e.g., technical expertise, provide clinical samples) than a Co-Investigator, and may or may not receive salary support. Co-Investigators must allocate a minimum of 5 percent FTE to the funded work. Generally, collaborators have a smaller role in the project (e.g., technical expertise, provide clinical samples) than a Co-Investigator, and may or may not receive salary support. Co-Investigators must allocate a minimum of 5 percent FTE to the funded work.Generally, collaborators have a smaller role in the project (e.g., technical expertise, provide clinical samples) than a Co-Investigator, and may or may not receive salary support. Co-Investigators must allocate a minimum of 5 percent FTE to the funded work.

  Can personnel from institutions other than MCW be funded on an AHW REP award?

Yes, through a sub-contracting process initiated in eBridge by the Principle Investigator (PI). The PI and any Co-Investigators (Co-Is) must be full-time, full-professional effort MCW faculty within the School of Medicine. Non-MCW faculty may participate as collaborators.

  Can MCW adjunct faculty members participate as PIs or Co-Is?

No. An adjunct faculty member may participate as a Collaborator.

  Can I be listed as a Principle Investigator on an application and a Co-I on a different application?

Yes. You may work on more than one award. However, no one individual may act as a Principle Investigator on more than one active award.

  AHW REP allowed costs do not include “stipends” for personnel. How can I pay for a graduate student to work on an award?

Graduate students can be paid for the research effort they contribute to the project via percentage FTE.

  Can I get an extension on an application or submit an application with missing information or signatures?

No. Late applications will not be accepted. ALL requested information is required – including signatures and contact information – at the time of submission. Any omission will result in a failed technical review of your application.

Note: If you cannot secure all required signatures on the same page, we will accept separate pages that have been signed by the required team members and combined into one final application packet.

  The NIH Biosketch format has recently been updated. Do I need to submit my Biosketch in the latest format?

Yes, please use the latest Biosketch format.

AHW Logo

8701 W Watertown Plank Road,
Milwaukee, WI 53226-0509
(414) 955-4350