A member of our team will reach out to you to confirm receipt of your application materials and let you know if any additional information is needed.
AHW engages merit reviewers to serve on review panels for our annual competitive Request for Application funding opportunities and for responsive funding opportunities as needs arise.
On average, AHW merit review panels consist of approximately 8-15 reviewers, although the specific number of reviewers needed depends on the number of proposals submitted for a given funding opportunity and the cumulative expertise and experience needed among the full review panel.
Yes. We welcome and encourage past reviewers to apply to serve as a reviewer again. While prior grant review experience is not required to serve as a reviewer, AHW seeks a variety of previous review experience, including individuals who have reviewed with AHW in the past and with other grantmaking organizations and institutions at local, state and federal levels, when developing merit review panels.
All merit reviewers are required to participate in a brief orientation discussion with AHW and to complete all required paperwork in advance of beginning the review process. Each merit reviewer is assigned a set of proposals to conduct an individual desk review and submit scores and comments through AHW’s online reviewer portal. All merit reviewers are required to participate in merit review meetings to discuss the outcome of the individual desk review and complete final scoring of the submitted proposals.
Time commitment often varies based on the number of proposals received and the composition of the merit review panel. AHW estimates the following time commitments for the following aspects that may be included in a merit review process (subject to change):
- Orientation discussion – approximately 1 hour
- Individual desk review of letter of intent or brief applications – approximately 1.5 hours of review time per proposal with an estimated review load of approximately 3-5 proposals assigned to each reviewer
- Merit review meeting for letter of intent or brief applications – approximately 3-4 hours of meeting time
- Individual desk review of full proposal applications – approximately 3 hours of review time per proposal with an estimated review load of approximately 2-3 proposals assigned to each reviewer
- Merit review meeting for full proposal applications – approximately 3-4 hours of meeting time